Thursday, May 12, 2016

In West Africa, progress on family planning but millions not treated for HIV

Women gather for the launch of the national family planning campaign in a low-income neighborhood of Bamako, Mali in April.
This was originally published on Global Health TV on April 26, 2016.

BAMAKO, Mali — Last year, there were several reports of how West Africa, after decades of seriously lagging behind the rest of the world (and Africa) in family planning, was finally starting to embrace it. IntraHealth International covered this topic extensively on its Vital blog, and I wrote about my own views of family planning in Mali here at Global Health TV.

Senegal, in particular, emerged as a family planning leader in West Africa and provided hope for the rest of the region. The three main reasons for Senegal’s success were strong political will, better coordination and collaboration and innovative approaches, according to Babacar Gueye, IntraHealth country director in Senegal.

New programs here in Mali, like Keneya Jemu Kan (USAID Communications et Promotion de la Santé, in the Bambara language), are making a major push to increase health indicators beyond the anemic progress of the past three decades. For example, the percentage of married women using any modern method of family planning in Mali has only increased from 1.3% in 1987 to 9.9% in 2013, and Keneya Jemu Kan is working to bend that rate upwards. (Full disclosure: I work as a consultant for Keneya Jemu Kan).

But a disturbing new report from Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), or Doctors Without Borders, claims that similar progress is not being made in HIV/AIDS. On the contrary, MSF claims that millions of people in West and Central Africa are being left out of the global HIV response despite globally agreed goals to curb HIV by 2020, and is calling on the international community to develop and implement an urgent plan to scale up antiretroviral treatment for countries where critical medicines reach fewer than one-third of the population in need.


The 25 countries that make up West and Central Africa account for one in five new HIV infections globally, one in four AIDS-related deaths and nearly half of all children born with HIV. MSF points out that the region has a low HIV prevalence, with 2.3% of the population infected with HIV, but that is three times the worldwide prevalence of 0.8%, and pockets of the region have prevalence over 5%.

HIV prevalence in West and Central Africa is lower than Eastern and Southern Africa. This lower prevalence has led to “poor knowledge of the disease among the general population, political leaders and health workers” and less funding by international donors.

“The converging trend of international agencies to focus on high-burden countries and HIV hotspots in sub-Saharan Africa risks overlooking the importance of closing the treatment gap in regions with low antiretroviral coverage, said Dr. Eric Goemaere, MSF’s HIV referent. “The continuous neglect of the region is a tragic, strategic mistake. Leaving the virus unchecked to do its deadly work in West and Central Africa jeopardizes the goal of curbing HIV/AIDS worldwide.”

Pape Gaye, president and CEO of IntraHealth and a native of Senegal, says that the problems cited by MSF are another example of why the international community needs to mobilize to help countries strengthen their health systems.

“The difficulties experienced by Ebola-affected countries to address the disease and the inabilities of countries to protect and sustain gains, including recent ones in family planning and reproductive health, point to the need for more attention to health systems strengthening,” said Gaye. “The region of West and Central Africa is poised to enter a new era of growth and prosperity but the momentum will dramatically slow down or vanish unless coordinated effort is made to rid the region of HIV/AIDS. This is not the time to continue erratic and fragmented interventions which produce results such as those described in the MSF report.”

The Ouagadougou Partnership, an initiative of nine French-speaking West African countries to promote family planning started in 2011, set a goal of reaching one million new family planning users in these nine historically under-performing countries by 2015. At their annual meeting in December 2015, members of the Partnership celebrated the achievement of this goal.

MSF is now calling for the same kind of urgent call to arms to address HIV/AIDS and a plan to achieve progress, much as the Ouagadougou Partnership did to address family planning. If we can do it for family planning, we should be able to do it for HIV/AIDS and thereby ensure that West and Central Africa do not thwart our efforts to achieve an AIDS-free generation.



13 comments:

  1. How can I explain this to the world that
    there is a man who can cure HIV/aids I
    was HIV over since 7year I have being
    into HIV drug I can’t anymore I decide
    to look for help then I found this
    woman post write about this great man
    DR.ezomo telling people about him that
    this man have cured to HIV I don’t
    believe that because all I have in mind
    is HIV had no cure, thank god for my
    life today am HIV negative through the
    power of DR.ezomo I contacted this
    man for help because who write about
    him drop an email of the man I pick the
    email and emailed him for the cure this
    man told me what to do about the cure
    well am from united state this man cast a curing
    spell on me and he told me that he will
    call me after the cure is done truly he
    did I was cured for 45mins spell what a
    wonderful man this DR.ezomo if you
    need his cured just email him now at
    drezomospellhome@hotmail.com or
    contact me genevacarlos72@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. TESTIMONY OF HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS WITHIN 7-14DAYS[with Herbal Traditional medicine]
      Hello Everyone out there, I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist called DR ODUWA, who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 in 2010, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via;
      dr.oduwaspellhome@gmail.com OR whatsapp +2348070685053.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I've been looking for books of this nature for a way too long. I'm just glad that I found yours. Looking forward for your next post. Thanks :)



    salt spray chamber manufacturers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. TESTIMONY OF HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS WITHIN 7-14DAYS[with Herbal Traditional medicine]
      Hello Everyone out there, I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist called DR ODUWA, who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 in 2010, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via;
      dr.oduwaspellhome@gmail.com OR whatsapp +2348070685053.

      Delete
  3. MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTH. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
    Love Spells
    Luck, Money Spells
    Health, Well Being
    Protection, Healing
    Curses, ex, Breakups
    NEW! Combo Spells
    High Priestess Spells
    Vampire Spells
    Authentic Voodoo Spells
    Custom, Other Spells
    Business spells
    Health/Healing spells
    Curse removal
    Job spells
    Healing from all kind of diseases
    Love binding
    Barrenness(need a child)
    Need love
    Lottery Spells
    Promotions
    Success
    Money rituals
    winning court case
    Divorce spells
    Low sperm count
    Infertility in women
    Breast enlargement/reduction
    Penis enlargement/reduction
    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com and here is his facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014833723968 thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. JOIN US IF YOU WANT TO BE A MEMBER OF THE BAVARIA ILLUMINATI.
    Look to the light so you can be helped. Follow the light so you can be saved. Learn from the light so you can achieve your goals. Follow the pyramid so you can be blessed. We are the Brotherhood of the Ancient Bavarian Illuminati that offers Abundant Wealth and Fame. You now have the opportunity to put a TOTAL STOP to your current sufferings and make the rest of your life time full of all good fortunes. The light is here to help you. inbox now on whatsapp +2348100663964 , Email: ancientilluminati666@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Email us:urgentloan22@gmail.com
    Application Form:
    =================
    Full Name:................
    Loan Amount Needed:.
    Purpose of loan:.......
    Loan Duration:..
    Gender:.............
    Marital status:....
    Location:..........
    Home Address:..
    City:............
    Country:......
    Phone:..........
    Mobile / Cell:....
    Occupation:......
    Monthly Income:....
    Email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

  6. TESTIMONY OF HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS WITHIN 7-14DAYS[with Herbal Traditional medicine]
    Hello Everyone out there, I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist called DR ODUWA, who helped me in my life. I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 in 2010, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him via;
    dr.oduwaspellhome@gmail.com OR whatsapp +2348070685053.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are You A Business Man Or Woman? Are You In Any Financial Mess Or Do You Need Funds To Start Up Your Own Business? Do You Need A Loan To Start A Nice Small Scale And Medium Business? Do You Have A Low Credit Score And You Are Finding It Hard To Obtain Capital Loan From Local Banks And Other Financial Institutes?. - Intermediaries / Consultants / Brokers Are Welcome To Bring Their Clients And Are 100% Protected. Interested Parties Should Contact Us For More Information Through Via E-mail:williamsgaige020@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unbelievable..... Is like a dream but is real, @dr_ahonsi the real cure to all diseases, @dr_ahonsi cure my (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) that was in my body for over 6 years, The story start like this, I contacted Herpes from my ex-husband, It was hell, i was in search of a cure for years, until a friend introduce me to @dr_ahonsi I thought he was a scam, but i gave him a try, he told me what to purchase to prepare the Herbal Medicine, so i buy all the required items, before 2 days he prepare the medicine and send it to me, i take the medicine for 3 weeks then i went  back for check up, the Doctor was even surprise to tell me that am cured, Thank you @dr_ahonsi for bringing happiness to my life, you can also contact him today if you have any disease, Email him :(drahonsi517@gmail.com) or whatsapp him:+2349046402730 for your complete cure

    ReplyDelete
  9. The doctors said Herpes virus do not have medical cure because the virus is capable of hiding within the human cells, it remains protected from your immune system. Herpes isn’t a special virus – your immune system has the tools to fight it back. But because it is able to lay dormant in protected cells, your immune system is unable to remove it from your body,But with strong reactive herbal medication is capable of getting rid of the virus gradually and totally from your body without damaging any of your cells,natural herbs kills the virus totally not just reducing the out break. Get natural herbs cure Email DR. VOODOO at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  10. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete
  11. Investing online has been a main source of income,that's why knowledge plays a very important role in humanity,you don't need to over work yourself for money.All you need is the right information,and you could build your own wealth from the comfort of your home!Binary trading is dependent on timely signals,assets or controlled strategies which when mastered increases chance of winning up to 90%-100% with trading. It’s possible to earn $10,000 to $20,000 trading weekly-monthly,just file a complaint with  Robert,I had almost given up on everything about binary trading and ever getting my lost funds back,till i met with him,with his help now i have my lost funds back to my bank account and I can now trade successfully with his profitable strategies and software!! Email: Robertseaman939@gmail.com or Fb.me/investandmakemoney1 or  whatsApp: +44 7466 770724

    ReplyDelete